South Africa: Global Explorations in South African Business and Culture
Tentative Dates: Choose from 3 different travel dates for 2023 : May 20 – June 2; June 3 – June 16; or June 17 – June 30.
Global Explorations in South African Business and Culture is an experiential study abroad program travelling to Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, and Western Cape. The purpose is to provide students exposure to various South African cultures and business environments, while providing an environment for learning.
Visit small and medium sized enterprises, game reserves, National parks, historic landmarks, museums and more.
Student Housing and Transportation:
Students will stay in a hotels or guest houses in the city center in all destinations. We will travel as a group by plane to and from the United States. Our group travels in country will be by bus. We will use local transportation within cities.
- Introduce students to a new languages (i.e. Afrikaans, and various native South African languages).
- Provide students with an understanding of business in South Africa.
- Provide students with knowledge and understanding of the driving forces in doing business in and with South Africa.
- Help students gain cultural and international competence, so that they feel confident in an international setting.
- Give students an understanding and appreciation of cultural differences and how other societies operate.
For a detailed itinerary, click here.
The 3-credit program is conducted during summer 1, 2023 term. It is open to any student, as no prior business knowledge is needed. Chose from 3 separate 2 week sessions
You will receive 3 credits:
- BIT 3954/5954 Study abroad
Undergraduates will receive credit for BIT 3954, and graduate students for BIT 5954 Study Abroad. These credits count as elective credits and help to complete the requirements of Pamplin’s International Business Minor.
Each student must have a valid passport from their home country. You can apply for a passport at the Acceptance Facility in Squires Student Center, the Blacksburg Post Office (540-552-2751) at the University Mall with appointment or at the Montgomery County Clerk's Office at the Christiansburg Courthouse (540-382-5760), no appointment required. You can get passport photos at most local pharmacies.
You should ensure that you have the proper vaccinations for this program. This can be done through the county health department or your family physician. Your family physician usually does not have the more specialized vaccines and should refer you to the county health department. You can see a list of recommended vaccinations and other health information at the CDC travel website.
These sites have additional information:
- General Information from the U.S. State Department
- International Travel from the U.S. State Department
- Customs Information
- Medical Information
- CDC Medical Information
- CIA Factbook (A great place for information on the countries we visit.)
- State Department Travel Alerts & Warnings