global minors

The International Business Minor was designed for Pamplin sophomores, juniors and seniors with a GPA of at least 2.0.  Non-Pamplin students who wish to earn the minor must go on a Pamplin study abroad program.  Applicants should present the application form to the Undergraduate Programs Office, 1046 Pamplin Hall. Decisions will be made throughout the year and applicants should receive a response in writing within seven to ten working days.


1. For 2018 Grads - Required International Business Course – MGT 3314 (3 cr) - may substitute any course from the 2020 Required Culture Course list; For 2019 grads: - Required Culture Course - 3 credits chosen from the 2020 or the 2019 Required Culture Course lists. 

2. Required Courses (9 cr) At least 3 of the following courses must be completed  ( *Junior Standing required)

  • BIT 4474 Global Operations and Information Technology
    Prerequisite: BIT 3414
  • FIN 4144 International Financial Management
    Prerequisite: FIN 3104
  • HTM 4484 International Tourism
    Prerequisite: MKTG 3104*
  • MGT 4314 International Management*
  • MKTG 4704 International Marketing
    Prerequisite: MKTG 3104*

3Elective Courses (6 cr) Students may take electives from the following courses:

  • Any course from the list of Other Required Elective Courses on the application form
  • Any course from the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
  • Any Pamplin College of Business Study Abroad course (ACIS 3954, BIT 3954, BUS 3954, FIN 3954, HTM 3954, MGT 3954, or MKTG 3954). No more than three (3) credits of “Study Abroad” credit may be used to satisfy the minor elective course requirement.

4. Foreign Language Requirement
The foreign language requirement can be fulfilled by passing at least four years of one high school foreign language, OR passeing three years of one high school foreign language plus two years of a different high school foreign language,  OR passing three years of one high school foreign language plus one year of a different university-level foreign language, OR two years of a single university-level foreign language. (e.g. FR 2106,), OR foreign language waiver provided by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. 

5. International Experience Requirement

The required international experience must take the form of recent college-level international study abroad, research abroad, international internships and co-op assignments, recent international residency, some university international service learning programs, or employment including international travel and responsibilities.  Experiences must be approved by Pamplin International Programs.  All Pamplin Study Abroad programs are pre-approved.

  • Dr. Jennifer Clevenger, Director of Global Study Abroad
  • Pamplin 1046
  • (540) 231-6602