The International Business Minor is restricted to all Pamplin College of Business sophomores, juniors and seniors with a GPA of at least 2.0. Applicants should present the application form to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs, 1046 Pamplin Hall. Decisions will be made throughout the year and applicants should receive a response in writing within seven to ten working days.
In addition to fulfilling the requirements of their individual majors, students must complete the four minor requirements listed below (including the international experience), with a GPA of at least 2.0 in the 18 semester hours (SH) required. The minor will be noted on the student’s transcript.
- For 2017 and 2018 Grads -Required International Business Course – MGT 3314 (3 SH); For 2019 grads: - Required Culture Course - 3 credits chosen from list on the application
- Required Courses (9 SH) At least 3 of the following courses must be completed
- BIT 4474 Global Operations and Information Technology
*Prerequisite: BIT 3414
- ACIS 5034 Global Issues in Accounting and Information Systems
(Senior Standing, 3.0 GPA)
- HTM 4484 International Tourism
*Prerequisite: MKTG 3104
- FIN 4144 International Financial Management
*Prerequisite: FIN 3104
- MGT 4314 International Management*
- MKTG 4704 International Marketing
*Prerequisite: MKTG 3104
* Junior Standing required
3. Elective Courses (6 SH) Students may take electives from the following courses:
- Any course from the list of International Elective Courses on the application form
- Any course from the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Any Pamplin College of Business Study Abroad course (ACIS 3954, BIT 3954, FIN 3954, MGT 3954, or MKTG 3954) approved through a substitution form. No more than three (3) credits of “Study Abroad” credit may be used to satisfy the minor elective course requirement, and only 3000 or 4000 level study abroad courses may be used for the minor.
4. Foreign Language Requirement
The foreign language requirement can be fulfilled by passed at least four years of one high school foreign language, OR passed three years of one high school foreign language plus two years of a second high school foreign language, OR passed three years of one high school foreign language plus one year of a second university-level foreign language, OR two years of university-level foreign language. (e.g. FR 2106,) OR proficiency as verified by CLEP exam for any foreign language at 2106 level, or one at 2105 and another at 1106 level, OR foreign language waiver provided by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures. If Virginia Tech foreign language credit is earned, e.g. FR 2106, these credits may be used as International Business minor electives.
5. International Experience Requirement
The required international experience must be of significant duration and might take the form of recent international study abroad, research abroad, international internships and co-op assignments, recent international residency, some university international service learning programs, or employment including international travel and responsibilities.
- Dr. Jennifer Clevenger, Director of Global Study Abroad
- Pamplin 1046
- (540) 231-6602